I'm know taco recipes are virtually all over the place - Pinterest, food gawker, other blogs, etc. But I can guarantee this walnut taco meat hasn't been made at home before (because I just created this recipe last week). Since it was such a hit at my house, and so good for you, I decided I would share it with the world, today.
The majority of faux or "veggie" meats in the markets are full of really strange ingredients like maltodextrin, wheat gluten, soy, flavorings, and so on. As most of you know, this blog isn't about VEGAN or VEGETARIAN food as much as it is based on CLEAN, FRESH, and ORGANIC healthy plant-based ingredients. I try to avoid using those packaged foods including fake cheese and meats. Just because something is dairy, gluten, or soy-free doesn't mean it's healthy for you.
So today I'm offering a homemade faux meat recipe, made using walnuts, that is really tasty, easy, and healthy - without any weird ingredients.
Walnut Taco Meat Ingredients
To make vegan taco meat with walnuts you'll need very simple ingredients.
That's it. That's all you need. Sounds too simple or maybe boring? Well, it's not. That's what's so cool about clean vegan food. The flavors and creativity will surprise you. Just pulse all the ingredients in a food processor and dehydrate for a dense crumbly walnut taco meat.
Veggie Taco Instructions
I chopped up cauliflower and put it on the stove with some olive oil and tamari. I cooked it for about 5 minutes on each side. When the cauliflower is cooked all the way through I turned up the heat for about 1 minute and let the liquid dry up and the cauliflower browned.
Using a spatula, I scraped up the cauliflower - it was VERY good inside these tacos. You can do this with any veggie for the most part.
On a gas range, set your corn tortilla over high heat. It will not only warm and soften the tortilla but the ends should char and give a great smoky flavor.
Layer the meat, veggies and homemade tomato salsa.
Top with avocado and my vegan sour cream or my smoky homemade cashew queso cheese.
You will impress your guests with these delicious vegan tacos. Plus it's interactive; let guests choose their toppings and layer their own tacos. You can feel good about feeding them such a healthy substantial meal.
Vegan Walnut Meat Taco Recipe
- Dehydrator or air fryer (optional)
- Food processor
Walnut Ground Vegan Meat
- 2 cups Raw walnuts
- ¼ cup Tamari or sub soy sauce
- 1.5 teaspoon Olive oil
- ½ tsp Onion powder
- ½ tsp Cumin powder
- ½ tsp Paprika
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper
Other Taco Ingredients
- 4 each Sprouted corn tortillas
- 1 each Avocado cubed
- 1 cup Roasted, sautéed or pickled cauliflower optional
Fresh Salsa Recipe
- 2 cups Baby tomatoes chopped
- 1 Tbsp Fresh onion finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Cilantro finely chopped
- ½ Lime juice only
- 1 Tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 1 inch Jalapeno finely chopped
- ¼ tsp Sea salt
- For the taco meat, you can make this well ahead of time. Or you can choose to skip the dehydration altogether. I like it better with a dry (dehydrated) texture, but if you don't have time, you can skip it.
- Put all of these walnut taco meat ingredients in a food processor and pulse until walnuts are ground very small and all ingredients are mixed together.
- Sprinkle mixture over a dehydrator sheet (you can use an air fryer if it has dehydration mode). Set temp to 120 degrees and dehydrate for 4 hours.
- For the tomato salsa, slice and chop as directed. Add all these ingredients together in a bowl. Let sit for an hour before serving if you have the time. This allows the juices to mix and lime to subtly "cook" and soften the tomatoes.
- To assemble the tacos, you'll want to layer roasted cauliflower and taco meat. Top with homemade salsa and avocado slices.
Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe and photos. The recipe turned out great and I will make it again for sure.
Would it be possible if you could put the amount it makes at the bottom of the recipe? I used it for your "NOT YOUR TRADITIONAL BOLOGNESE" recipe and had to guess how much to make (I halved it to get 1/2 cup).