There’s something wonderful about banana bread. The smell of it cooking fills the entire kitchen with a very comforting aroma. The sweetness of the ripe bananas with a little extra help from coconut sugar makes this recipe naturally sweet and with what seems almost like a hint of caramel.
It’s a simple allergen-free recipe (no gluten, dairy, eggs or nuts) and yet also very versatile. This particular recipe is nut-free but you can add walnuts or cranberries, extra spices or more vanilla. You can top it with butter or leave it plain; serve it warm or room temp. No matter which way you do it, you won’t be disappointed.
Gluten-Free Banana Bread
Yields: 1 loaf
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoon ground flax seeds + 6 tablespoon water)
- 2 large bananas (very ripe)
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup vegan butter like melt or earth balance
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 2 cups gluten-free flour blend
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tbs Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Sea Salt
TOPPING INGREDIENTS (optional)
- ½ cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Make flax eggs and put in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Put bananas, coconut sugar and vanilla into food processor. Process to blend, but don’t over mix.
- Add flax eggs, butter and mix again. Don’t over mix.
- Mix rest of ingredients in a separate bowl and slowly add to wet ingredients. Don’t over mix. 7. Bake in 8 ½ inch by 4 ½ inch loaf pan for about 35 minutes.
- Remove bread. Mix toppings in a little bowl and add toppings evenly over the bread.
- Put back in the oven and cook another 10-15 minutes.
Baking notes: If you choose not to add the pumpkin seed toppings, just bake the bread in the oven for 45-50 minutes.
The bread is best eaten right away. Any leftovers should be covered and left on the counter; do not store in refrigerator. Consume within a day or two.
Recipe idea inspired by Tia’s Kitchen
If you love the recipe please share your images on social and tag me. Or even leave your comments with me below.