Somehow this protein packed mock tuna salad recipe tastes almost exactly like traditional tuna salad. It reminds me of a combination of hummus, egg salad and tuna style dish. When added to a sandwich though it makes an almost identical healthy plant-based alternative. Especially if you're planning on having friends over this week and are struggling for a healthy idea.
Best part? It's so easy and quick to make and with only one bowl to wash. That is so my style: Easy, healthy and delicious! And of course I'm not saying you shouldn't or can't eat regular tuna fish sandwiches but this an option for those following or looking to follow a more plant-filled cruelty-free diet. And this recipe had my husband completely baffled when I made a big mock tuna sandwich for lunch last week. He couldn't believe how it totally hit the spot yet had no fish in it at all.
MOCK TUNA RECIPE
Yields 2 cups
- 1 can garbanzo beans
- 1 lemon, juice
- 1 ½ tablespoon vegan mayo
- ½ teaspoon sea salt + pepper
- ¼ cup cashews
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- optional: parsley + chopped shallots
- Put all of the above ingredients into a food processor. Pulse for 15 seconds. And scrape down. Repeat twice.
- Scrape all of the salad into a bowl.
- For Crudites: top mock tuna salad with parsley and smoked paprika. Serve with crackers or cucumbers, or other raw vegetables of choice.
- For Tea Sandwiches: you'll want to layer the bread with mayo, mock tuna and fresh herbs and cucumber or tomatoes. See diagram below.
You can use any combination of herbs and veggies to fancy up these cute dainty little tea sandwiches. Feel free to get creative.
Please share any of my images on social media, I'd love it. And don't forget to snap a pic of your beautiful dish and tag me when and if you make the recipe! Click these links if you don't already follow my instagram and pinterest accounts.