I've been eating so clean lately in addition to working out hard. It feels so good. I eat less when I workout hard and I make better food choices as well. It's funny how that works. When I was pregnant I was the same way; I ate better than on a normal not-pregnant day. Often times I hear pregnant women say that they can eat whatever they want because they are pregnant and going to gain weight either way so what the heck! But I just couldn't get on board with that. I was growing a baby inside me and I wanted to give my body what it needed in order to work hard and do it right.
Soups like this Cleansing Fennel Asparagus Soup nourish and feed the body and soul.
Fennel has a celery like texture but looks more like a bulb. It's known for its licorice-like flavor. This often under utilized plant food has wonderful health benefits. In fact, it has been used in natural remedies since ancient times. It grows wild and can be grown anywhere Fennel has a pale bulb and long green stalks. It can be grown almost anywhere. All parts of the fennel plant, including the bulb, stalk, leaves, and seeds, are edible.
Personally I feel like fennel isn't often used in recipes because people don't really know what to do with it. I love fennel added to my pressed juices. It goes well with celery as well. Because it contains ample amounts of phosphorous, zinc, copper, manganese, selenium, niacin, pantothenic acid, folate, choline, beta-carotene, lutein, and zeaxanthin, vitamin E, and vitamin K, it's been said to help with everything from hearth health to inflammation to blood pressure and bone health.
In addition to all these nutrients, it provides high levels of dietary nitrates.
My cleansing raw fennel asparagus soup combines the health benefits of asparagus, avocado and fennel together to create a very flavorful healing dish.
And although it's technically a raw soup (meaning, no cooked) I did like the idea of blanching the asparagus to soften it. You can also add warm veggie broth (instead of cold) to make this more of a warm soup. Personally I prefer gazpacho style fennel soup.
Garnish it with pretty plants or crunchy raw nuts. I added some salty popcorn to mine one time. It was a fun addition.
Cleansing Fennel Asparagus Soup Recipe
Yields 1 large bowl or 2 cups
- ½ avocado, skin and seeds removed
- 1 medium sized fennel bulb, chopped in large chunks (approx 2 cups)
- 5 large asparagus stalks or 9 skinny ones, steamed or blanched
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- pepper, to taste
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon shallots, chopped
- ½ cup broth (warm or cold)
Garnish ideas: shallots, cilantro, asparagus, avocado, olive oil, lemon juice or even a vegan sour cream.
- Prep all your ingredients by chopping, removing tough stems, seeds and skins.
- In a large skillet, fill the bottom with about ¼ in water. Add asparagus and heat them until they are soft and bright green. Remove from water and put into a high speed blender.
- Add the rest of the ingredients into the blender.
- Blend up the ingredients until smooth.
- Add garnish. Serve immediately at room temp or warmer.