Guys this tempeh salad and herbed ricotta cheese is a really good combination. And it's so simple and easy to make. The peppers are just quickly roasted in the oven while you're prepping everything else. And the rice can be made in a rice cooker or F it, just microwave the frozen stuff - done in just 3 minutes. And the tempeh is quick quick quick.
As far as equipment goes, all you need is a frying pan, a cookie sheet and big ol' bowl to toss it all up in. The ricotta cheese takes some time but if you're in a hurry just use the store bought stuff. Kite Hill - if you have access to it - is the bomb and works really well here!
But, I do have to say that I'm totally obsessed with making my own cheese. I don't do dairy so mine is made from almonds or macadamia nuts and trust me you'll love making; It's so easy. Click here for recipe.
Ricotta Cheese Variations
In addition to this salad, there are so many ways to enjoy the homemade ricotta. You can eat it with a drizzle of honey or add some sea salt and herbs. Try smoked paprika or garlic for a funky flair.
Back to this super awesome salad that will impress anybody and you'll be so happy you made it because it's very healthy!
Feel free to have fun with personalizing this dish. You can use mushrooms and also brussels sprouts. Use spinach in place of arugula, etc. But I like it just the way it is.
Many of my friends are on a no rice post-holiday diet. If that's you, just omit the rice and add tons of arugula instead. Or if you have time whip up some cauliflower rice. Mmmmm!
There's nothing better than rice, sea salt, olive oil and HERBS. Have you ever enjoyed a bowl like that? I adore chopped herbs. If you follow any of my recipes you'll know they are pretty much in or on top of everything I make. Herbs and chopped nuts. Not only do they make things look pretty but they add an enormous amount of flavor and a little vitamin boost.
Why I Like This Tempeh Salad with Herbed Ricotta Dish
This salad serves about 3 people. It doesn't taste like diet food at all, but it really does check all diet boxes:
- no gluten
- no dairy
- no meat
- no fried foods
- no packaged foods
- loads of vegetables
- clean protein
TEMPEH SALAD WITH HOMEMADE VEGAN HERBED RICOTTA CHEESE
- Frying pan
- Baking sheet
- 2 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 package Tempeh Cut up and then crumbled
- 1 teaspoon Harissa spice paste
- 2-3 cloves Garlic pressed
- ¼ cup Shallots chopped
- 3 tablespoon Tamari
- 1 teaspoon Olive oil
- ½ Lb Small sweet peppers (or regular bell peppers)
- ½ teaspoon Sea salt & pepper
- 3-4 cups Cooked brown rice
- 1 cup Wild arugula chopped
- 3 tablespoon Toasted sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoon Olive oil
- pinch Sea salt & pepper to taste
Herbed Vegan Ricotta Cheese
- ½ cup homemade almond or macadamia nut ricotta cheese or store bought Kite Hill ricotta
- 3 tablespoon Herbs like chives, parsley or basil chopped
- pinch Sea salt
- In a warm skillet add 1 tablespoon olive oil and chopped shallots. Cook until they are translucent and starting to brown. (about 3-4 minutes). Stirring occasionally so that some do not burn.
- Once they brown add the rest of the olive oil. Add the crumbled tempeh, garlic, tamari, and harissa spice.
- Cook on medium heat stirring once with a metal spatula. Let it cook for a few minutes and brown on the bottom (about 2-3 minutes). Then stir again. And scrape with a spatula. Keep doing this until the moisture and oils are all soaked in and tempeh looks nicely browned, dry, and cooked.
- Turn off heat. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 420 degrees F.
- Grease the pan with olive or coconut oil.
- Cut the peppers into little strips.
- Lay them flat, not overlapping each other. Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.
- Cook until they soften and maybe get a tad brown on the edges. About 10-12 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine the ingredients for the arugula rice. Add roasted red peppers.
Herbed Vegan Ricotta Cheese
- In a bowl combine cheese, herbs and sea salt.
- Gently fold until thoroughly mixed.
Final Salad Assembly
- Combine ricotta cheese with the rice, tempeh, veggies and add huge handfuls of arugula. Toss. Garnish with herbs and more toasted sesame seeds. Serve warm.