A perfect vegan sour cream is super creamy, and mild in flavor, not too salty or spicy. Most often at home I just blend up a store bought vegan sour cream (which are never very good if you ask me) with cashews, lemon and some nutritional yeast. That's been my go-to for quick easy vegan sour cream.
But this time I wanted to create a sour cream at home that doesn't require any store bought brands (which often expensive, contain emulsifiers and other ingredients).
This sour cream recipe is really easy to whip up any time you're making tacos, burritos or even lasagna. Yes, I said lasagna; you can use this to make a lasagna or pasta sauce more creamy and almost cheesy in flavor. So keep this recipe someplace handy or better yet make it a few times and just memorize the quantities.
Yields approx 3 cups
- 1⁄2 cups raw cashews, soaked for at least an hour
- 1⁄2 cup firm or soft tofu
- 1 tablespoon vegan mayo
- 1⁄3 cup fresh water
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt (or less)
- Place cashews in a bowl and cover with water. Soak overnight or for 8 hours if you have the time. Or 1-3 hours if you don’t have time.
- Drain water from soaked cashew bowl. Place in a high-speed blender with tofu.
- Add the mayo, water, lemon, vinegar, and salt. Blend on high until super smooth. You might have to stop to scrape down the blender now and then or add a touch more water to get it going.
- Transfer mixture into a small, air-tight container and chill in the fridge. The cream will thicken up as it chills. The cream will keep in the fridge for about 1 week.
- Tips: You can also freeze it for up to 1 month. You can even it in silicone ice trays. Once solid, transfer the cups into a freezer-safe zip bag for easy grab and go portions.