Remember my last post about homemade tahini? As promised I created gluten-free, vegan, healthy recipe for chickpea brownies that call for the homemade tahini. These are really moist, rich and filling. There are 6 grams of protein in each serving and my kids devoured them! A perfect sweet treat.
These are actually super fun and simple to make; have your kids help you next time you have a snow day or a holiday. Then devour them with little to no guilt.
What Is In Chickpea Brownies?
- chia seeds
- garbanzo beans
- sesame seeds
- and natural sugar!
Brownie Recipe Variations
This recipe took a bit of tweaking. It does come out pretty gooey, which is how I personally like my brownies, but if you want the brownies to be lighter and airier you might want to add some rice flour. I would say to add about ¼ cup or more to this recipe for that consistency.
Chickpea Brownies with Tahini
Yields approx 9 brownies
What You'll Need:
- 8x8 in baking dish
- Parchment or oil/grease for pan
- Food processor
- Rubber Spatula
- ⅓ cup + tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon water
- ½ can chickpeas (about 8 oz or half cup)
- ¼ cup chickpea water inside the can
- 2 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup tablespoon baking cocoa powder
- 1 ¼ cup almond flour
- ¾ cup can sugar
- 2 tablespoon melted butter (vegan butter preferably) or coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease glass baking dish or cover in parchment.
- To make the tahini you will have to do the following: In a food processor add the chia and sesame seeds. Keep blending them until they turn to a paste, scraping sides as needed. Add the water and blend again until smooth - about 1 minute. You will have to stop to scrape the sides with a rubber spatula a few times in between.
- Set aside.
- In the same food processor bowl blend up the garbanzo beans and garbanzo bean liquid. Blend until it turns to a smooth paste - no chunks - stopping to scrape sides as needed.
- Warm up the butter or coconut oil in a microwave or in a pan on the stovetop.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, blending each time you add a couple ingredients. Add the tahini and blend again. Add the butter and blend again.
- Transfer to greased baking dish with a rubber spatula spread evenly.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes until sides are crunchy and extra brown.
- Let cool before serving.