Oh boy, I think I just created a new weekly staple. This Healthy Chinese "Chicken" Salad will not only leave you satisfied but it will have your taste buds jumping for joy! There are so many different flavors and textures; it's like a party in your mouth. Ok, yeah, that sounds a little weird, but I'm totally serious. There is a little peppery flavor, some hot spice, a little sweet, tons of different herbs, toasted oils and nuts and a touch of salt all combined with the fresh crunchy flavorful cabbage, carrots and greens.
This recipe not only tastes delicious but is easy to make - takes only 15-20 minutes max - and requires not cooking. I love Tofurkey's vegan oven roasted "chicken" that my local health food stores sells. The texture is like chicken but the flavor is better (of course), the ingredients are pretty clean and there's tons of protein. This healthy vegan Chinese "Chicken" Salad is filling and would be a great pot luck dish.
I have so many friends on a detox right now after the indulgent holiday! If that's the case for you as well, you need to make my healthy Chinese "Chicken" Salad recipe! It is guilt-free, high in fiber, high in protein and healthy fats but also abundant in antioxidant rich veggies. The dressing combines fresh ginger, lemon and garlic (great for cold prevention) with almond butter and toasted sesame oil. What are you waiting for - grab these ingredients while you're at the store and make this salad - you'll be so happy you listened to me! (wink)
- 1 cup, finely sliced or grated purple cabbage
- 1 cup, finely sliced or grated green cabbage
- 3, julienned carrots
- 2 cups other greens of choice (i.e. romaine or arugula)
- 2 thinly sliced and chopped radishes
- ¼ cup, chopped fresh mint
- ¼ cup, chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup, shredded or chopped (I use Tofurkey Brand) "chicken"
- 2, finely chopped green onion (scallions)
- 3 tablespoon toasted almonds or peanuts
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 3 dinner salads
- 3 cloves, minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon, grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon almond butter
- 3 tablespoon tamari
- 3 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon (or to taste) honey or agave nectar
- ½ teaspoon red chili flakes or tabasco
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon or lime juice
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: dressing for 1 large salad