It's that time again. Between heat waves and cranky bored kids at home for the Summer, this Ice Cold Melon Slushees recipe might be a great distraction. It’s hydrating, refreshing and something for the kids to do with you in the kitchen.
I personally like these before a workout or sometimes even after my workout because it’s so hydrating and refreshing. My kids like it sweeter than I do, so play around with whatever works for your family!
The best part about this drink is that it’s super simple to make. My kids can make it themselves. There are only 3 ingredients: melon, ice and sweetener of choice. Throw it all in the Vitamix and you have a slushee.
If you buy the melon pre cut it’s even simpler for the little ones to make. Give it a go and tell me what you think.
I also sometimes get bored of just snacking on chunks of fruit. And lets face it, getting kids to eat fruit can be a challenge sometimes as well. So coming up with new ways to enjoy it and ingest it can be fun.
Melon Slushees Variations
This slushee recipe is extremely versatile. In addition to swapping any melons you can also try pineapple or other high water content fruits. For adults, try coffee for a coffee slushee. You can up the sweetener amount or nix it all together.
The more ice you add to this drink the more of a "slush" texture you get. My kids eat theirs with a spoon like you would shaved ice. Or add less ice and it's more of an ice cold fruit beverage.
ICE COLD MELON SLUSHEE RECIPE
- ½ Ripe melon (honeydew, cantaloup or watermelon)
- 2-3 cups Ice
- 1 ½ tablespoon agave nectar
- Slice melon in half. Remove seeds and thick outer skin. Cut into medium-sized chunks.
- Place melon and ice in the blender. The more ice you use the more “slushee” and thick it becomes. So, add the amount of ice depending on preferred consistency.
- Add agave or sweetener of choice. Blend well until there are no remaining fruit chunks.
- Serve immediately for best taste.