This roasted sweet potato with creamy tahini sauce is a simple versatile recipe that is not only delicious but healthy, too. Load it up with all kinds of proteins, vegetables, sprouts, and chopped onions for a quick and easy dinner.
Think busy weeknights, after-school sports madness, homework, cranky kids. Don't worry, I got you covered, mama! Whether your entire family enjoys it, or you just make a single serving for yourself…it will be worth your while. With only 5 minute prep time and 50 minute cook time, you can be hands-free to do whatever else you need to get done! In addition to being quick and simple, this roasted sweet potato recipe is also totally plant-based, versatile, and healthy!
Why sweet potatoes?
Everyone loves the sweet, caramelized flavor of sweet potato, and its health benefits make this recipe a spectacular addition to your weekly dinner menu. In all honesty, I sadly, only eat sweet potatoes maybe once every few months. But after making this recipe, I realized I need to eat them way more often because they are so good and SO healthy.
Why are sweet potatoes healthy?
Behind their colorful bright orange appearance, sweet potatoes are packed full of crazy nutrients.
Sweet potatoes with orange flesh, like shown here, are rich in carotenoids.
What are Carotenoids?
Carotenoids are yellow and orange pigments, synthesized by many plants, which function as a source of vitamin A (retinol) in your body. Carotenoids may be beneficial in enhancing your immune system and eye health. The most common carotenoids are beta carotenes, lutein, zeaxanthin, and lycopene.
Sweet potatoes are also high in vitamin C and vitamin B6, which are important for brain and nervous system health. They're also a good source of potassium and magnesium, which help improve heart health by helping to regulate blood pressure.
Aren’t plants amazing? They give us everything we need for beautiful eyes, skin, hair, nails, and so on.
What You Will Need For This Roasted Sweet Potato Recipe:
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- Tahini <-- learn to make your own by following simple my recipe
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- Raw garlic cloves
- Delicious toppings
- Tin Foil
- Air Fryer (roast mode)
For this delicious roasted sweet potato recipe, you will want to poke holes in the raw potato before cooking. Then coat the sweet potatoes in olive oil and then completely wrap the potatoes in tin foil so they can thoroughly cook.
While you wait for the potatoes to roast, you can whip up the tahini sauce. This tahini sauce is really clean and basic. I love how the savory sour flavor of it rounds out the sweetness of the sweet potatoes.
This recipe is fun because you can play with the toppings. Add garbanzo beans or tofu or ground "meat". Maybe try some fresh herbs, sour cream, and black beans. Or top it with avocado and arugula.
The tahini sauce is one of my favorite dressings. It's so tangy creamy and rich but really healthy. If you like it to, you'll love my
Arame Salad with Tahini Umami Dressing
Edamame Kale Salad with Tahini Dressing
ROASTED SWEET POTATO & CREAMY TAHINI DRESSING RECIPE
- 2 medium sized sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- toppings of choice Tahini Sauce Ingredients
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice approx juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoon tahini
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2-3 cloves raw garlic pressed or minced
- 3 tablespoon water
- Cut 2 large pieces of tin foil, each large enough to wrap the entire sweet potato. Set potato in the middle of the tin foil. Slather the sweet potatoes in olive oil and poke holes in the potatoes using a fork. Wrap the potatoes completely.
- Set them in the air fryer at 400 F temp. Cook on the ROAST setting for 60 minutes until sweet potatoes are cooked all the way through and very soft. The skin should be somewhat caramelized. If you do not have an air fryer, perheat oven to 415 F and bake for 50-60 minutes on a baking sheet.
- In the meantime, put the tahini sauce ingredients into a cup or bowl. You will want to whisk (or blend) this up until it’s smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Next, once sweet potatoes are completely cooked, using a knife open the top of the sweet potatoes by cutting along the top but not in half. You will want to then scoop the insides and pour the tahini sauce into the middle of the potato. Mix the sweet potato up with the tahini sauce using the skin as a bowl.
- Figure out what you want to choose for your sweet potato toppings. What sounds good to you? Toasted nuts or seeds for crunch and a nutty toasty flavor? Edamame soy beans or garbanzo beans for added protein? Fresh chopped herbs for aromatic flavor? A “meat” option like Impossible meat or something similar. Possibilties are endless.
- Add more tahini sauce and enjoy!
Leave a Reply