When creating a meal intuitively (without a recipe), it's important to think about a few basics. But before we get started on that, I wanted to talk about quinoa. Quinoa is not a grain, it's a flowering plant in the amaranth family. It does however act as a filling, warm, comfort food. It is also GREAT as a cold salad as well.
Most of my clients, however, say quinoa isn't their favorite food. But once we get into how to properly cook it and use it, they end up loving it. So let's start with how to make quinoa taste super delicious.
The good news is, quinoa is REALLY easy to make. You use equal parts water to quinoa. Bring it to a boil, cover, simmer for 15 minutes. That's it!
But the key to making it DELICIOUS is adding butter or oil and fluffing it up while it's hot. Tip: I actually like to use my whipped garlic butter, which adds major flavor.
The Perfect Quinoa Ingredients
Use a clear shot of the ingredients for this recipe, prepped, and labeled if necessary. Insert the ingredients into the list below, omitting quantities.
- oil / butter
- sea salt
See recipe card for quantities.
Instructions For The Perfect Quinoa
Quinoa is so simple to cook. It takes 1 part quinoa and 2 parts water. And just 15 minutes.
Combine quinoa and water. Bring to a boil.
Turn stove on low and let simmer for 15 minutes.
Add the olive oil and sea salt.
Fluff using a fork.
When it's done right, it's:
- & comforting
- Add roasted veggies - add chili pepper flakes while cooking to imbue heat into the dish, or banana peppers
- Add greens - add guacamole, crispy onions or
- Spice it up - add crushed potato chips (ketchup chips!)
- Balance it with greens, something creamy (avocado or a soft cheese), cumin or other spices, raw sliced veggies.
See warm ginger carrot quinoa salad or my kale and quinoa dish.
For making the perfect quinoa, you can use a saucepan or a rice cooker.
The Perfect Quinoa
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 2 cups Water
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- ⅓ cup Olive Oil
- In a saucepan bring the quinoa and water to a boil. Cover the saucepan and simmer for 15 minutes
- Once water evaporates add olive oil, sea salt and fluff with a fork.
Leave a Reply