Earthy, peppery, tangy, savory, and a touch sweet, this Healthy Bloody Maria Recipe is a wonderful take on a fresh homemade bloody mary made with tequila.
I have two secrets, 1) I've never drank an entire bloody mary before and…2) I don't drink hard alcohol very often (if ever), but you will catch me having a margarita from time to time. So, to overcome my fear of a stomach ache or heartburn that I imagined a bloody mary would give me, I decided to team up with Sophia from Veggies Don't Bite, to create a more well-balanced, delicious, and inventive take on a bloody mary. Made with tequila instead of vodka, Sophia explained to me that we will need to call it a Bloody Maria.
We made this recipe 4-5 times until we got it exactly right. It tastes gourmet and isn't too bland but also not too over the top with the heavy ingredients that can cause heart burn. It's literally perfect.
If you like this you might also like:
Bloody Maria Ingredients
As you can see from the photo, this bloody maria recipe is made from healthy, fresh, whole-food plant-based ingredients.
- Tomato juice or this one
- Tobasco sauce
- Lemon juice (fresh)
- Lime juice (fresh)
- Worcestershire (vegan) or try this one or this one
- Sea salt
- Garlic powder
- Celery seed
See recipe card for quantities.
In a large measuring cup you will add all of the ingredients.
Stir everything together really well.
Muddle the jalapeno.
Using a lime or lemon wedge, rim the glass with juice. Then dip the glass into a dish of chunky sea salt.
Add ice. And pour bloody maria over ice.
Using a lime or lemon wedge, rim the glass with juice. Then dip the glass onto a dish of chunky sea salt.
Add ice. And pour bloody maria over ice.
Bloody Maria Substitutions
If you don't have all of these ingredients, play around with other ideas.
- Vegan Worcestershire - you can use regluar, it just won't be vegan.
- Garnish - we used a mini food torch to char some veggies. The char added dimension, a playful visual and also great flavor. But that's optional. Instead of olives or jalapeno, add tomatoes, pineapple and much more.
- Spices - try onion powder or even something like mustard. Have fun!
- Jalapeno - if you don't have a jar of jalapeno, try pepperonccini, or olive juice.
- Horseradish - this ingredient is spicy and adds a great kick but you can feel free to leave it out or sub something else like more Worcestershire or jalapeno.
- Gluten-free - Try this version of Worcestershire sauce for a gluten-free option. Or leave it out.
Bloody Maria Variations
You can have fun with this recipe and to make this spicier or less spicy.
- Spicy - add chili pepper flakes or extra jalapeno for more spice.
- Deluxe - vegan bacon would be SO FUN. Traditionally people eat bacon with bloody mary's.
- Virgin mocktail - This would be a great virgin drink as well. Leave out the tequila and think of it as a fancy tomato juice. OR salad in a glass.
I could not resist showing you guys some behind-the-scenes shots with Sophia.
She's adorable and look at the magic we created with cardboard and kids' art table.
Store Bloody Maria Mixture in the fridge in an air tight container. Good for 2-3 days.
Let the mixture sit for about 30 minutes before serving. This isn't a necessary step but when the flavors marinate together it really takes the drink to the next level.
Healthy Bloody Maria Recipe
- 1 cup tomato juice
- ¼ cup tequila
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice, fresh
- 4 teaspoon worcestershire sauce (vegan)
- 1 tablespoon pickled jalapeno
- 3 ½ teaspoon horseradish
- 1 ½ teaspoon celery seed
- ½ teaspoon lime juice, fresh
- ½ tsp tobasco sauce
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Add everything to a large glass measuring cup, or container of choice and mix with a spoon.
- Using a muddler, muddle the jalapeno slices until fully mashed. Mix again.
- Allow to set in fridge for about 30 minutes for the best flavor. NOTE: You can also strain through a mesh strainer if you prefer a smoother drink.
- Rim glasses with salt using fresh lime first and then dipping the glass onto a plate of salt.
- Fill glasses with ice and pour in the mix. Add garnish of choice!