Are you tired of afternoon lattes, hot green tea or pumpkin spice everything yet? I am! So today I'm sharing with you my recipe for something called a "Golden" milk. It's basically a ginger turmeric tea makeover. This time with a twist of pepper and milk.
The Golden milk recipe is strong in color and flavor, hence the name. I used a pretty hefty spoonful of turmeric spice and the fresh root as well. Ginger gives it some added warmth and the vanilla is nutty and earthy. The pepper adds an addicting spice. After you make this tea a few times try using it as a base for more advanced tonics. Adding mushroom powders and other supplements turns this tea into an immune booster superhero type beverage. I added powdered green coffee and mushroom powder to mine today.
The fist time I made this milk I remember feeling really hot - like a crazy heat in my upper chest and head. Instantly my whole body felt kind of tingly and warm.
It is used to relieve swelling and pain due to headaches and wounds and is called ‘natural aspirin’ in Ayurvedic medicine. It's also been used to make the skin look healthy by boosting elasticity.
These are just some of the health benefits of drinking turmeric milk.
I add the pepper to help with absorption. The combination is a perfect afternoon pick me up and it's perfect during a cold and cough.
WARMING TURMERIC GINGER MILK
- 20 oz fresh homemade almond or cashew milk
- 1 teaspoon turmeric spice
- ½ teaspoon ginger spice
- ½ teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- ½ teaspoon grated fresh turmeric
- ½ teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper spice
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon raw honey or ½ Tbls cane sugar but you want the good medicinal stuff for this
- In a small pot add all of the above ingredients.
- Heat on medium heat until it's just about boiling.
- Whisk everything as it heats, making sure it all mixes up well.
- Strain out the chunks.
- Serve hot.