This simple side dish is healthy and perfect to pair with any protein or starch dish. Add rice or pasta even tofu and you have dinner! My Zucchini Gratin recipe is made with almond flour and doesn't require cheese or eggs. So that means it's vegan and gluten-free. And it sure does taste amazing!
When it comes to zucchini, I love it lightly sauteed. Salt and pepper are a must. This time around I wanted to add some extra substance. So I created a gratin style dish using a homemade vegan parmesan sprinkle that acts like bread crumbs but tastes like cheese.
This was inspired by my love for zucchini and homemade cashew parmesan cheese. This side dish pairs well with lentil meat balls. It would be a wonderful recipe to add to your healthy Thanksgiving menu.
Vegan Zucchini Gratin Ingredients
- Almond Flour
- Nutritional Yeast
- Olive Oil
- Sea Salt & Pepper
See recipe card for quantities.
That's it. Super fresh and simple.
You will need to slice the zucchini into perfect rounds. This is easy with the food processor's mandolin blade.
In a saute pan you will start with olive oil and garlic. You will want that to heat up before adding the zucchini. Cook zucchini a little bit then add the mixture you will make of almond flour and nutritional yeast. Toss. Add salt and pepper. And toss again.
Once the zucchini starts to brown and oil dries up, you're all done!
Hint: use a wooden spoon to lightly toss / mix the zucchini. Add more oil if the pan dries up too much.
You can make this same gratin with different vegetables.
- Potato - using the mandolin you can slice potatoes the same way and after you boil them first you can sub them for the zucchini. Or do them both together.
- Cauliflower - use cauliflower steaks.
- Add a protein - add a protein to this and you have a full meal. Try tofu, fake chicken, Pumfu, or beans.
Even if you're not vegan or gluten-free this is a great tasting way to eat your veggies or the day. Kids will love it too.
You can use a knife to cut the zucchini if you don't have a food processor. But the food processor does a great job making the slices even.
Also, investing in a good frying pan is worth it when you're going vegetarian or vegan.
ZUCCHINI GRATIN RECIPE
- Saute pan
- Food processor (option or use knife)
- 1 Zucchini
- 2 tablespoon Olive oil divided
- ⅓ cup Blanched almond flour
- 2 cloves Raw garlic cloves
- ⅓ cup Nutritional yeast
- ¾ teaspoon Sea salt
- ¾ teaspoon Crushed black pepper
- Using a food processor mandolin slicing blade, you will want to cut zucchini in thin slices.
- In a small bowl add nutritional yeast and almond flour. Mix very well.
- In a saute pan add 1 tablespoon oil. Add pressed garlic using a garlic press.
- Warm the oil for about 1 minute. Add zucchini slices. Coat them in the oil and toss. Heat for about 3 minutes.
- Add the nutritional yeast almond flour mixture and the other Tablespoon of olive oil and cook the zucchini until it starts to brown and oil dries up. Don't overcook. You don't want mush.